Thursday

Unknown - bracelet portrait of lady

This is a most unusual miniature portrait bracelet of an older lady. It is painted in enamel on porcelain, which was an uncommon technique, especially in the mid 19C.

It was a roundabout acquisition, as a visitor to my website asked me about it, as they thought it was American. I told them that I thought it was enamel on porcelain and probably German, and offered a fair price to buy it. However, the owner decided that as I had expressed interest, it must be worth a lot more than my offer, so they offered it on eBay with a high reserve. After a couple of unsuccessful auctions there where it did not reach reserve, the price was lowered and I was able to win it on eBay for a price a lot lower than I had originally offered the vendor.

I thought it was interesting as I had never seen a miniature in such a setting. There is a minor scratch on the right hand side which could be touched up. When it arrived, I found that the bracelet is made of silver, covered by gilt. I am still not certain about the origin. I am confident it is not American, but it may be that the painting itself was made in Germany, and the setting in England. Unfortunately, neither the sitter nor artist is known.

It was made for a very small hand, as it does not open, with the internal dimensions being only 60mm x 50mm. The portrait itself being 33mm x 42mm.

There are a couple of other miniatures in the collection set as bracelets, but they have wristlet bands made of human hair. 1380

No comments: